Thursday, September 1, 2011

Swedish Adventures

         So I have changed my mind and just decided to to post all my pictures on facebook which it looks like most of you have already checked them out. I also have a few more from today I will post shortly.

        As most of you have seen from the pictures the last week has been a lot of sight seeing. My feet have been having a great time adapting to the all the walking but it is a must if I am going to be living a life without a car. We have seen almost all there is to see in Uppsala in the past week. Actually I think we saw all there was to see in the first two days. Uppsala is a very small university town that most of the population is made up of students which means bikes everywhere a huge problem with bike theft. I lock my bike up like crazy and just hope for the best. Speaking of bikes mine has turned out to be quit a headache and nothing but problems so far. The derailers are completely out of alignment and I have gone through two flat tires already, fun time half way to Ikea (delicious meat balls btw).
 
         Downtown Uppsala has one of the most gorgeous cathedrals based on gothic architecture and most of the kings of Sweden have been buried inside. Another part of Uppsala that I got to see today was Gamla Uppsala (old Uppsala) which is where the viking graves are located in these huge mounds. I went with Stina's father while Stina was in class. I had a great time and got a huge lesson on the history of Uppsala and the vikings.

            Stina and I also had an adventure to Stockholm this week. Wonderful time in a viking museum, picnic in front of the castle and I road a lion. In the old town of Stockholm we wondered around in some small shops and a few little art galleries. Very calm and relaxing day of site seeing but we will have to make a return trip because we were unable to see everything. 

            The other stuff that has been going on a crawfish party, cheap beer with some friends at the student organization, Stina's driving school, and some family dinners. All in all it has been a great week and I have been trying to work my way into the Swedish culture and trying to pick up a little of the Swedish language while I am at it.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from you, Dustin. Though I am concerned you rode a lion... you mean statue, right? I haven't had the opportunity to visit Sweden yet. I am still contemplating the feasibility of doing Oktoberfest this year... Just not sure I can right now. Hoping to make a trip to see you though. The pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should have stole my beach cruiser!

    ReplyDelete