Saturday, October 1, 2011

Culture shock


Since my last blog, I have not really had many changes in my life. What I have had is a change in how I feel. You may call it culture shock, home sick, or just stress but what I do know is that the excitement of being outside of the states has now warn off and I think the true weight of what I am doing is set in. I knew this was going to happen, it was just a question of when. Since I spent time in Sweden before I came to Germany, I have now been outside of an English speaking country for almost 6 weeks now. As most of you know I love to talk,  my mom has always said "I love the sound of my own voice" so its a very strange feeling for me when I can no longer involve myself in a conversation or figure out how to order my meal correctly.
Last year, when I was in Ireland, I believe, that my culture shock was much less because there was no language barrier. I know that this situation will not last and that I will soon be able to focus my attention on learning the language but for the time being it is making life difficult and sometimes near impossible. Stina and I are doing are best and beginning to make progress in the right direction.
As for the couch surfing and apartment searching, today was a great day. We looked at a room right near where we are staying and it turned out that the guy liked us and I should be able to move in by the end of the month. The rent is rather cheap compared to what we have been looking at and I don't have to sign a contract. We will meet with him again tomorrow and work out the details. This did put us in another bind, we didn't know where we were going to stay for the next month. This is where we got extremely lucky. As we were staying at a couch surfers house he is leaving for a month to Indonesia, we talked to him for a bit and he offered us his place to stay at for the next month. I don't think we could have gotten luckier.
Things may be looking up for Stina and I, keep your fingers crossed for us. As always miss you all and I hope everything is going great stateside, and please leave a comment so I can hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. :) I'm so glad to hear you are finally having some good luck--I've been worrying about you but I knew things had to turn around soon... hey if you read this before it's too late, do you want to maybe make a skype date tomorrow lol? I miss talking to you and I have Sunday completely off to do homework. I will go on Skype as soon as I get on my computer in the morning and should be on all day. If not, then we should definitely start planning some soon! Btw this is Kinzie--it always says Unknown when I leave a comment :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. See I told you we would sort it out :)
    And about the culture shock, stop seeing yourself as a stranger here. I will help, promise. You can't fit in until you allow yourself to do it. Kyss

    ReplyDelete